I N T E R N A T I O N A L
I N T E R N A T I O N A L
16 Pages Number 57 7th year
Price: Rp 3.000,-
Friday, March 6
Jane Fonda says male domination of world has been ‘wounded’
Bruce Willis to star on Broadway in play of King’s ‘Misery’
Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File
NEW YORK — Bruce Willis will make his Broadway debut this fall in a tale of torture and suspense — a stage adaptation of Stephen King’s novel “Misery.” Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures said Wednesday the “Die Hard” star will star opposite Elizabeth Marvel in the story of a murderous fan united with her beloved romance novelist. William Goldman has once again adapted the book. His previous film adaptation, based on Stephen King’s celebrated novel, was directed by Rob Reiner and released in 1990, starring James Caan and Kathy Bates, who won an Academy Award. Dates and a theater will be an-
nounced later. The action takes place in a lonely, snow-encased town. While driving on an icy road, novelist Paul Sheldon skids, crashes and is pinned in his car, with his new manuscript tucked away in his nearby briefcase. Annie Wilkes, his so-called No. 1 fan in the world, finds him, frees him from the car and takes him to her home to nurse him back to health. All is fine until she reads the new book in which the author has killed off a heroine named Misery
who has appeared in a string of romances. Sheldon is faced with his biggest challenge ever — to revive Misery and write another novel. In the process, he must figure out how to outsmart his captor and escape. The play will be directed by Will Frears. Marvel’s other Broadway credits include “Picnic” and “Other Desert Cities.” King hasn’t had much success on Broadway, with his “Carrie” in 1988 considered a legendary flop. (ap)
NEW YORK — Leonardo DiCaprio is partnering with Netflix for a series of documentaries he will produce for the streaming service. Netflix announced Wednesday that DiCaprio and his production company, Appian Way, have signed a first-look deal with Netflix for nonfiction projects. The company says DiCaprio
and Netflix will seek to develop and acquire documentaries and docuseries “with partial focus on environmental and conservation themes.” DiCaprio teamed with Netflix last year to release the Oscar-nominated documentary “Virunga.” In a statement, DiCaprio said “Virunga” ‘’sparked a shared vision” between
him and the streaming service. The deal adds to a growing stable of Hollywood talent Netflix has lured to its expanding original film operations. Along with an earlier deal with Adam Sandler, Netflix recently acquired “Beasts of No Nation” by “True Detective” director Cary Fukunaga. (ap)
DiCaprio partners with Netflix for series of documentaries
UNITED NATIONS — Jane Fonda said Wednesday the male power structure that has dominated the world for centuries has been wounded — “but there’s nothing more dangerous than a wounded beast.” The actress and women’s rights activist spoke in a telephone interview ahead of U.N. meetings next week to assess progress toward women’s equality. She said “the most intractable problem that humanity faces is the problem of patriarchy,” which she partly blames for the rise in terrorism and the destruction of the environment. She said patriarchy is very entrenched, which has made it difficult for women fighting for real equality to challenge it, though she says women have made inroads. Male power is “wounded now but there’s nothing more dangerous than a wounded beast, thrashing about, flailing its tail with the barbs on it, and a lot of people are really getting hurt badly,” she said. Fonda said this challenge to male power has not only had an impact on terrorism and the environment but has affected women demanding equality because “there’s a lot of guys who won’t stand for it.” “So we have to be constantly reminded of how far we’ve come and how far we still have to go,” she said, and that’s why she will be at the U.N. on March 12 to help launch a campaign by the women’s rights group Equality Now urging all governments to repeal or amend all gender discrimination laws. Fonda, a longtime supporter of the group, said just over half the laws it highlighted in 1999 have been revised, appealed or amended, but there is no excuse for less than 100 percent. Changing laws “is a huge step forward” and helps empower victims, she said, but to achieve equality many other things are needed as well. “You need women elected to office, you need movements in the streets, you need social media, you
WEATHER FORECAST 23 - 32 Dps
e-mail: info_ibp@balipost.co.id online: http://www.internationalbalipost.com. http://epaper.internationalbalipost.com.
Friday, March 6, 2015
US envoy to SKorea in stable condition after knife attack Page 6
Man United leaves it late to beat Newcastle 1-0 in EPL Page 8
Venezuelan mayor’s arrest casts light on unlikely marriage
Page 13
Tourists spend time at Tanjung Benoa Beach recently. Australian tourists are still ranked first in terms of number of arrivals in Bali. The Central Statistics Agency (BPS) of Bali noted that Australian tourist visit reached 85,059 people in January.
John Shearer/Invision/AP, File
need every single form of social protest and speaking truth to power that’s possible,” Fonda said. And a woman leader must lead “as a woman and not as a man in skirts” who thinks she needs to prove she’s not weak, she said. Her value “is to bring her woman-ness to her leadership style” which means empathy, compassion and “someone whose head and heart are not bifurcated,” she said. Fonda said it took her a long time to understand what the women’s movement was about and what feminism meant, and she will be fighting for equality for the rest of her life not only with Equality Now but with V-Day, a movement to stop violence against women, and the Georgia Campaign for Adolescent Power and Potential which she founded in 2001. But Fonda hasn’t given up on acting: She will be starring in director Paolo Sorrentino’s movie “Youth in Venice” with Michael Caine and Harvey Keitel, which will be released this year. And she said she’s gearing up for a second season of the Netflix series “Grace and Frankie” with Lily Tomlin. (ap)
Australians still dominates tourist visitors to Bali
DENPASAR - Australian tourists are still ranked first in terms of number of arrivals in Bali. of the people, they actually do The Central Statistics Agency (BPS) of Bali noted that Australian tourist visit reached 85,059 not seem care about the ban,” he people in January. This number increased by 19.32 percent over January 2014 when 71,288 Aus- explained. Overall, foreign tourist artralians came. At the same time, the number represented fewer people compared to December rivals in Bali reached 301,748 2014 when 96,854 people came from Australia. people in January. This number “In terms of contribution given optimistic that the decline rate Minister Tony Abbott calling for represented an increase of 8.05 by Australian tourist, it reached would not be much different than a boycott of Indonesia, including percent compared to last year. A total of 10 countries contributed 28 percent, it’s big enough,” said in previous years. Bali. the Head of BPS Bali, Panusunan He was responding to specula“Every February, Australian significant numbers of travelers Siregar. Panusunan added that tion that the execution of the Bali tourists tend to decrease compared to Bali, namely Australia, China, based on previous experience Nine duo would have an impact on to January. So that’s why I want Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, the visit of Australian tourists the Australian tourist visit to Bali. to know how the actual figures of Singapore, the UK, the USA, would usually decrease again in This was in the face of comments February will look like. If it shows Taiwan and India. “Of these 10 countries, comFebruary. Final data could only by the Australian Foreign Minister a mediocre decline, it suggests no be confirmed next month. He was Julie Bishop and Australian Prime impact. From the point of view pared to the previous year, India
ANTARA FOTO/Fikri Yusuf
experienced the greatest increase namely 28.65 percent going from 5,678 to 7,305 travelers. Malaysia showed the highest decrease 11.80 percent going from 15,656 people to 13,809 people,” he said. (kmb32) News can also be heard in “Bali Image” at Global Radio FM 96.5 from 9.30 until 10.00 am. Listen to Global Radio FM at http:// globalfmbali.listen2myradio.com or live video streaming at http://radioglobalfmbali.com and http:// ustream.tv/channel/global-fm-bali.