Skip to main content

Inland Edition, June 23, 2023

Page 1

The Coast News INLAND EDITION

.com

VISTA, SAN MARCOS, ESCONDIDO

VOL. 10, N0.13

JUNE 23,, 2023

Mom jailed in 78 crash that killed 2 kids

Song to ‘Cher’

From staff and wire reports

Debbra Sweet of Vista overcame a traumatic brain injury to launch a career as a Cher tribute performer, author and business consultant. Story on Page 10. Photo by Marce Bowe

Vista City Council OKs Bobier Drive roundabout

Feds launch plan to find home for nuclear waste By Samantha Nelson

CAMP PENDLETON — The prospect of removing spent nuclear fuel stored at the decommissioning San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station came one step closer to being realized after the U.S. Department of Energy launched a new plan to find temporary repositories while a permanent site is completed. On June 9, Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm and Congressman Mike Levin (D-CA) visited the

former nuclear power plant, situated along the coast of Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton between San Diego and Orange counties, to announce the federal government would be dedicating $26 million to find communities willing to accept a temporary federal site to store nuclear-spent fuel. Currently, the United States does not have a designated permanent repository for spent nuclear fuel. TURN TO NUCLEAR ON 5

The 2023

Best of North County

CONTEST WINNERS will be announced online July 12th at

TheBestofNorthCounty.com

By Steve Puterski

San Marcos reels in seafood chain Diners lined up June 19 for the grand opening of The Boiling Crab, a Cajuninspired seafood spot. 11

Happy Birthday! The Vista Chamber of Commerce celebrates its 100th anniversary. 3

VISTA — A lengthy discussion last week about a controversial roundabout on Bobier Drive ended with a split City Council giving it the greenlight. During its June 13 meeting, the council approved the roundabout at the intersection with Calle Jules as part of the city’s Fiscal Year 2022-23 and 2023-24 Capital Project Mid-Cycle update. The vote was 3-2. Mayor John Franklin and

Winners will also be printed in the July 14th issue of

the COast News

...and featured in the upcoming

Best Of NOrth COuNty MagaziNe thebestofnorthcounty.com

Councilman Joe Green voted no after an emotional and long discussion about how best to calm traffic and improve safety for motorists, pedestrians and students at Foothill Oak Elementary School. The road splits the districts of Green and Councilwoman Corinna Contreras, and they went back and forth over the roundabout. Green said he was in favor of a traffic light and asked TURN TO ROUNDABOUT ON 7

VISTA — A woman was jailed on suspicion of DUI and vehicular manslaughter in connection with a Vista freeway collision that killed her two children over the weekend. The events that led to the double fatality on the eastbound side of state Route 78 began shortly after 6 p.m. June 18, when Sandra Ortiz, 33, pulled over onto the shoulder near Mar Vista Drive, according to the California Highway Patrol. After the vehicle came to a stop, Ortiz’s children, ages 10 and 16, got out and were hit by an oncoming car, the CHP reported. The victims, whose names were not immediately available, died at the scene. It remained unclear Monday why Ortiz stopped on the side of the freeway, though it may have been because a piece of luggage she had tied to the roof of her vehicle had come loose, according to news accounts. “(The children) were retrieving something from the vehicle,” CHP Officer Ryan Harrison told The Coast News. The woman driving the car that fatally struck the children remained at the scene after the incident and fully cooperated with officers, Harrison said. He said law enforcement did not suspect her of driving under the influence. Ortiz was being held at Las Colinas women’s jail in Santee on $500,000 bail pending arraignment, which was scheduled for June 22.

Please support local news by supporting our advertisers!


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Inland Edition, June 23, 2023 by Coast News Group - Issuu