Skip to main content

Caribbean National Weekly May 29, 2025

Page 1

THE MOST WIDELY CIRCUL ATED CARIBBEAN AMERICAN NEWSPAPER IN FLORIDA

CNWEEKLYNE WS.COM

THURSDAY MAY 29, 2025

MIRAMAR TURNS 70 Celebrates with Memorial Day celebration

Thousands of residents filled Shirley Branca Park on Monday, May 26, for a vibrant celebration of the City of Miramar’s 70th anniversary, transforming Memorial Day into a powerful tribute to both national service and local heritage. The event, dubbed Miramar Day 2025, honored the city’s official incorporation in 1955 while paying homage to the men and women who gave their lives in military service. The day began with a moving Memorial Day ceremony, reminding attendees of the sacrifices that underpin American freedom. Then came the celebration. A spirited motorcade wound its way through the city, capturing Miramar’s festive spirit before culminating at the park. There, families were greeted by a bustling festival featuring live entertainment, cultural performances, food trucks, games, and interactive experiences for all ages. The event reflected the city’s evolution—from a quiet suburb developed in postwar America to one of South Florida’s most dynamic and diverse municipalities. “Miramar Day is more than just a celebration—it’s a symbol of our city’s resilience, diversity, and shared journey,” said Mayor continues on B5 – Miramar

NATIONAL

U.S Government halts new student visa appointments The U.S. government has instructed American embassies around the world to halt the scheduling of new student visa appointments, as it prepares to expand social media screening for such applicants. In a memo sent to U.S. diplomatic posts, Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced that the suspension would remain in effect “until further guidance is issued,” according to a report from the BBC. The message said that the upcoming changes in vetting procedures for student and foreign exchange visas would have “significant implications” for embassies and consulates. The memo, reviewed by CBS News, directed consular sections to remove any unfilled student visa appointments from their calendars, while allowing previously scheduled interviews to proceed. “Effective immediately, in preparation for an expansion of required social media screening and

Rubio

vetting, consular sections should not add any additional student or exchange visitor (F, M, and J) visa appointment capacity until further guidance is issued septel, which we anticipate in the coming days,” the cable states, according to Politico. (“Septel” is State Department shorthand for “separate telegram.”) continues on B2 – Student Visas

W H AT ’ S I N S I D E

NEWSMAKER Shelly-Ann FraserPryce Drive unveiled in Waterhouse a3

CARIBBEAN Barbados PM Mia Mottley conrms she will contest next general election A4

HAITI Founder of Haitian orphanage sentenced to 210 years in prison A6

SPORTS Shericka Jackson cruises, Campbell soars, Knight impresses in Rabat Showdown B7


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
Caribbean National Weekly May 29, 2025 by Creative Network Media - Issuu