Skip to main content

The Times-Picayune 10-25-2025

Page 1

TEXAS A&M AT LSU: Trey’Dez Green coming up big for Tigers 1C

N O L A.C O M

|

S at u r d ay, O c t O b e r 25, 2025

$2.00X

Landry issues order over SNAP funds

state of emergency over the is- ä Democrats raise more Governor joins officials to keep benefits going sue. In a news release, he said, objections over plans to move

BY MATTHEW ALBRIGHT and ALYSE PFEIL

If Congress does not pass a bill to fund the federal government by the end of the month, the SuppleStaff writers mental Nutrition Assistance ProGov. Jeff Landry and the Loui- gram will run out of money. Nearsiana Legislature are intervening ly 800,000 Louisiana residents get to stop SNAP benefits, otherwise SNAP benefits, according to Octoknown as food stamps, from being ber 2025 data from the Governor’s halted on Nov. 1 due to the federal Office. government shutdown. Landry on Friday declared a

“We should not allow our elderly, disabled, or children to go hungry.” “Our social security net is supposed to help the most vulnerable, and we will try to accomplish this with today’s action,” he said. The executive order notes that Louisiana has a Revenue Stabilization Fund that the Legislature can tap for emergencies with a

ment for SNAP benefits,” House Speaker Philip DeVillier, R-Eunice, said in an interview Friday. election dates. PAGE 7A DeVillier said he is sponsoring a resolution urging the Landry adtwo-thirds vote of each cham- ministration and the Louisiana Deber. It also notes that the Leg- partment of Health, which adminislature is currently in Baton isters food stamps in Louisiana, Rouge for a special session on “to take any means necessary” to election dates. ensure that SNAP cards are filled “We receive about $150 million ä See SNAP, page 7A a month from the federal govern-

TAKING FLIGHT

Fans turn out for Pelicans home opener against Spurs N.O. rallies late but loses 120-116 in overtime

Grant cuts leave N.O.-area vulnerable Emergency funding reallocation sparks local concerns

BY BEN MYERS Staff writer

Emergency directors in New Orleans and neighboring parishes are scrambling after President Donald Trump’s administration recently yanked a grant for counterterrorism and disaster response, threatening funding “We had an for French Quarter barricades and a host identified, of other security needs granted across the region. amount in The $4.6 million August, and grant from the Departnow we are ment of Homeland Security was to be split almost in between Orleans, JefNovember ferson, St. Bernard and and we have Plaquemines parishes no idea what for vehicles, generathat amount is tors, cybersecurity and improved radio comnow.” munications across the West Bank of all COLLIN ARNOLD, New Orleans four parishes. The emergency Trump administration announced the grant director awards in August, but reallocated them last month without explanation. The reallocation increased grants for some of the 44 metro areas in the program and reduced others. Just two saw their grants cut entirely: New Orleans and Philadelphia. The status of the money is still uncertain. A Rhode Island federal judge blocked the reallocation with a temporary restraining order, but the order expired Friday and it was unclear on Friday afternoon if a longer injunction would replace it while litigation unfolds. “We had an identified, granted amount in August, and now we are almost in

ABOVE: Carter Williams, 5, hugs a member of the PelSquad before the first home game of the New Orleans Pelicans season at the Smoothie King Center on Friday. RIGHT: Five-month-old Breaux Templet smiles as he is lifted into the air before attending his first New Orleans Pelicans basketball game on Friday. More game coverage in Sports, page 5C. STAFF PHOTOS By SOPHIA GERMER

ä See GRANT, page 7A

U.S. sending aircraft carrier strike group to Latin America BY KONSTANTIN TOROPIN Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The U.S. military is sending an aircraft carrier to the waters off South America, the Pentagon announced Friday, in the latest escalation of military firepower in a region where the Trump administration has unleashed more rapid strikes in recent days against boats it accuses of carry-

WEATHER HIGH 84 LOW 73 PAGE 8A

ing drugs. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth ordered the USS Gerald R. Ford and its strike group to deploy to the U.S. Southern Command region to “bolster U.S. capacity to detect, monitor, and disrupt illicit actors and activities that compromise the safety and prosperity of the United States,” Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said on social media. The USS Ford, which has five destroy-

ä Trump administration imposes sanctions on Colombian president, his family and a member of his government. PAGE 3A

Press. As of Friday, the aircraft carrier was in port in Croatia on the Adriatic Sea. The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive military operations, would not say how long it ers in its strike group, is now deployed would take for the strike group to arrive to the Mediterranean Sea. One of its in the waters off South America or if all destroyers is in the Arabian Sea and an- five destroyers would make the journey. other is in the Red Sea, a person familiar ä See CARRIER, page 4A with the operation told The Associated

Business ......................5B Deaths .........................4B Opinion ........................6B Classified .....................5D Metro ...........................1B Sports ..........................1C Comics-Puzzles .....1D-4D Nation-World................2A

Hegseth

13TH yEAR, NO. 74


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook