N.Y. ATTORNEY GENERAL CHARGED IN FRAUD CASE AFTER PRESSURE FROM TRUMP 2A
ADVOCATE THE
T H E A D V O C AT E.C O M
BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA
|
F r i d ay, O c t O b e r 10, 2025
$2.00X
U.S. sending 200 troops to Israel for ceasefire
La. cancels another diversion project Concerns raised over future coastal work BY MIKE SMITH Staff writer
disarmament, a withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza and a future government in the territory. One of the officials said the new team will help monitor implementation of the ceasefire agreement and the transition to a civilian government in Gaza.
The state has officially canceled another large-scale plan to rebuild lost wetlands in southeast Louisiana through a controversial sediment diversion, a long-expected move by Gov. Jeff Landry’s administration drawing sharply divergent reactions. The Mid-Breton Sediment Diversion was to be built on the east bank of the Mississippi River near Wills Point, across from Delacroix. The aim was to address land loss in the area by mimicking the way the Mississippi built south Louisiana in the first place by channeling river water and sediment into the Breton Basin. It was meant to be a companion project to the Mid-Barataria Sediment Diversion, which was to be built on the west bank of the river near Myrtle Grove. The state officially canceled that unprecedented $3 billion project in July after having previously said it intended to abandon it even though it had broken ground in 2023 following years of study and planning. Some $619 million in funds related to the 2010 BP Deepwater Horizon spill had already been spent on MidBarataria. Around $90 million in BP funds had previously been approved for Mid-Breton. Gordon Dove, chair of the state’s Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority, said the latest numbers he saw on money spent on the project amounted to around $70 million, though the total could now be more. Dove said the state was working with trustees overseeing the BP funds in the hopes of earning interest from unspent money to recoup at
ä See TROOPS, page 8A
ä See PROJECT, page 7A
ASSOCIATED PRESS PHOTO By OHAD ZWIGENBERG
Einav Zangauker, center, mother of Matan Zangauker, who is being held hostage by Hamas, reacts Thursday at a plaza known as Hostages Square in Tel Aviv, Israel, as she and others celebrate following the announcement that Israel and Hamas have agreed to the first phase of a peace plan.
Forces will help support and monitor peace deal in Gaza
BY KONSTANTIN TOROPIN and MICHELLE L. PRICE Associated Press
WASHINGTON — The United States is sending about 200 troops to Israel to help support and monitor the ceasefire deal in Gaza as part of a team that includes partner nations, nongovernmental organizations and private-sector players, U.S. officials said Thursday. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss details that were not authorized for release, said U.S.
Central Command is going to establish a “civil-military coordination center” in Israel that will help facilitate the flow of humanitarian aid as well as logistical and security assistance into the territory wracked by two years of war. The remarks provide some of the first details on how the ceasefire deal would be monitored and that the U.S. military would have a role in that effort. After Israel and Hamas agreed to the first phase of a Trump administration plan to halt the fighting, a litany of questions remain on next steps, including Hamas
ä Israeli Cabinet approves ‘outline’ of
deal for hostages’ release. PAGE 5A
Bollinger Shipyards to build Coast Guard icebreakers Trump announces shipbuilding deal at White House
many as 600 jobs at the company’s Houma shipyard. The agreement, still preliminary, is part of a larger pact between the U.S. government and Finland to partner on building 11 Arctic Security Cutters, a new class of BY STEPHANIE RIEGEL medium-size vessels that can cut Staff writer through Arctic ice while performPresident Donald Trump signed ing defense and research missions. Trump has said he wants to evenan agreement Thursday paving the way for Bollinger Shipyards to tually acquire 40 such vessels to build four new icebreaker vessels protect U.S. security in the Arctic. for the U.S. Coast Guard, part of a Trump announced the deal at $6 billion deal that will support as the White House on Thursday
WEATHER HIGH 85 LOW 60 PAGE 8B
afternoon with Finnish President Alexander Stubb following a meeting with Stubb, Vice President JD Vance, several Cabinet members, Finnish officials and Bollinger Shipyards President and CEO Ben Bordelon. “It’s going to be a great partnership,” Trump said of the deal. Under the terms of the deal, known as a “memorandum of understanding,” the new vessels will be built over several years with the
RENDERING PROVIDED By BOLLINGER SHIPyARDS
Bollinger Shipyards in March won a nearly $1 billion contract from the Coast Guard to build the first heavy polar icebreaker constructed in the ä See BOLLINGER, page 7A U.S. in nearly 50 years.
Business ...................10A Commentary ................7B Nation-World ................2A Classified .....................7D Deaths .........................4B Opinion ........................6B Comics-Puzzles .....4D-6D Living............................1D Sports ..........................1C
101ST yEAR, NO. 102