Skip to main content

The Times-Picayune 10-01-2025

Page 1

SPRINGER MOUNTAIN BONELESS CHICKEN BREASTS

$399 SELECTED 6-12 OZ

$179

PRICES VALID 10/1/25 - 10/7/25

N O L A.C O M

|

ROMAINE HEARTS

$189

$2999

4 PACK

LB

BORDEN CHEESE

METAIRIE 504-885-5565 | RIVER RIDGE 504-737-8146 GARDEN DISTRICT 504-262-6017 | CHALMETTE 504-262-0750 BELLE CHASSE 504-393-1012

FRESH TOMATOES

3 COUNT

EA

EA

PROGRESSO SOUPS

TREATSHOP PARFAITS

$169

$199

SELECTED 18-19OZ

EA

SELECTED 4.5-5.5OZ

EA

W e d n e s d ay, O c t O b e r 1, 2025

EA

$2.00X

Government shutdown looms Officials unclear on impact for Louisiana

STAFF FILE PHOTO By SOPHIA GERMER

Soldiers with the Louisiana National Guard were deployed in New Orleans earlier this year ahead of the Super Bowl.

Request for troops in La. draws mixed reactions Local leaders weigh in on Landry’s National Guard deployment proposal

BY MEGHAN FRIEDMANN Staff writer

ASSOCIATED PRESS PHOTO By MARIAM ZUHAIB

Senate Majority Leader John Thune, R-S.D., center, speaks during a news conference after a policy luncheon at the Capitol on Tuesday. BY MARK BALLARD and ALYSE PFEIL

Staff writers

WASHINGTON — Republicans and Democrats were no closer to compromise Tuesday night, setting the stage for the federal government to run out of money at midnight and cause the first shutdown of most federal operations since 2018. The agencies were still working out just who should come to work Wednesday and who should stay home. Officials were figuring out: What services are deemed essential and must continue even without funding? And which services could be curtailed? In the past, the White House’s Office of Management and Budget gathered all the contingency plans and published them on its website. This time, the administration of President Donald Trump has ordered each and

Henry said based on prior shutdowns like the one in 2018, “We know that Social Security, military and veterans affairs will not be affected.” And most critical services like flights and air traffic control won’t be disrupted, he said. The military will still be on duty. Armed forces retirees will still get their checks, but any changes to indiASSOCIATED PRESS PHOTO vidual accounts will have to wait, acBy JACQUELyN MARTIN cording to the Defense Department contingency plan. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Veterans Affairs medical facilities Schumer, D-N.y., speaks to reporters continue operations, and veteran benefits will be processed. on Tuesday at the Capitol. Commercial flights will continue, every agency to post its own contin- though lines may start getting even longer if the shutdown wears on. gency plan on its website. With two hurricanes off the U.S. Senate President Cameron Henry, R-Metairie, said he hadn’t received a coast, the staff of National Weather formal notification regarding a federal ä See SHUTDOWN, page 9A government shutdown.

Gov. Jeff Landry’s request to deploy 1,000 Louisiana National Guard troops in the state’s cities drew mixed reactions across the state as local leaders waited to learn more details. Landry announced on Fox News host Sean Hannity’s show Monday night he was sending Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth a letter asking the federal government to pay for the deployment. Under his administration, Landry told Hannity, “We started to see violence start to trickle down, and lately we’ve seen an uptick, so I’m calling the president today.” In his letter to Hegseth, Landry cited crime in cities like Baton Rouge, Shreveport and New Orleans as justification for the deployment. A spokesperson for Landry said she could not answer questions about where the troops would go, what they would do, or when they might be deployed, because Trump had not approved a plan yet. A White House spokesperson did not comment, and the Pentagon did not answer questions on whether Landry’s proposal will be approved. In a statement, the Louisiana National Guard said it will “start coordination with law enforcement partners in select major urban areas for preliminary development” as it awaits orders. “The LANG is the home team, made up

ä See TROOPS, page 11A

Oliver Thomas seeks second chance to lead N.O. ‘Listening to our people fuels leadership’

mused about how city leaders can uplift Black businesses. The students listened intently as he promised to do so as New Orleans’ next mayor. Then Thomas hit his stride. ShufBY JAMES FINN fling his feet, bending his knees and spreading his arms in dance, Staff writer he pledged, too, to defend New OrWearing a blue suit and thick- leans from incursions by state and rimmed glasses, Oliver Thomas federal leaders. paced the St. Augustine High “I want to be a mayor that if Jeff School gym, making eye contact Landry and Donald Trump don’t with students in the crowd as he understand what we’re about, I’ll

WEATHER HIGH 92 LOW 74 PAGE 8B

ELECTION 2025 N.O. MAyOR

be the one to get in their face and tell them, ‘Don’t make me trip out,’ ” Thomas said, doing a snippet of a dance popularized by New Orleans artist T99ZY. The gym full of Purple Knights cheered. Thomas, a veteran City Council member, shines in these moments — those where he can let loose,

elicit a laugh, show New Orleanians he’s one of them. His voice often breaks with emotion from the council dais. He greets people with bear hugs and handshakes. It’s how he says he’d govern, by meeting New Orleanians in their homes and on their streets as he brings them along on the road to building a “city that works for everyone.” “I want to meet and touch as

STAFF FILE PHOTO By BRETT DUKE

ä See THOMAS, page 8A Oliver Thomas

Business ...................12A Commentary ................7B Nation-World................2A Classified .....................9D Deaths .........................3B Opinion ........................6B Comics-Puzzles .....5D-8D Living............................1D Sports ..........................1C

13TH yEAR, NO. 50


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
The Times-Picayune 10-01-2025 by The Advocate - Issuu