Skip to main content

The Advocate 10-01-2025

Page 1

l

INSIDE TODAY: FIND GOOD EATS JUST OFF THE EXIT

ADVOCATE THE

T H E A D V O C AT E.C O M

BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA

|

W e d n e s d ay, O c t O b e r 1, 2025

Jan Risher and Features team The Advocate hit the road find the best to eats in Bato n Rouge not far from the beaten path.

$22.00X

Government shutdown looms Officials unclear on impact for Louisiana

STAFF FILE PHOTO By SOPHIA GERMER

Soldiers with the Louisiana National Guard were deployed in New Orleans earlier this year ahead of the Super Bowl.

Request for troops in La. draws mixed reactions Local leaders weigh in on Landry’s National Guard deployment proposal

BY MEGHAN FRIEDMANN Staff writer

ASSOCIATED PRESS PHOTO By MARIAM ZUHAIB

Senate Majority Leader John Thune, R-S.D., center, speaks during a news conference after a policy luncheon at the Capitol on Tuesday. BY MARK BALLARD and ALYSE PFEIL

Staff writers

WASHINGTON — Republicans and Democrats were no closer to compromise Tuesday night, setting the stage for the federal government to run out of money at midnight and cause the first shutdown of most federal operations since 2018. The agencies were still working out just who should come to work Wednesday and who should stay home. Officials were figuring out: What services are deemed essential and must continue even without funding? And which services could be curtailed? In the past, the White House’s Office of Management and Budget gathered all the contingency plans and published them on its website. This

Senate President Cameron Henry, R-Metairie, said he hadn’t received a formal notification regarding a federal government shutdown. Henry said based on prior shutdowns like the one in 2018, “We know that Social Security, military and veterans affairs will not be affected.” And most critical services like flights and air traffic control won’t be disrupted, ASSOCIATED PRESS PHOTO he said. The military will still be on duty. By JACQUELyN MARTIN Armed forces retirees will still get Senate Minority Leader Chuck their checks, but any changes to indiSchumer, D-N.y., speaks to reporters vidual accounts will have to wait, according to the Defense Department on Tuesday at the Capitol. contingency plan. Veterans Affairs medical facilitime, the administration of President Donald Trump has ordered each and ties continue operations, and veteran every agency to post its own continä See SHUTDOWN, page 9A gency plan on its website.

Gov. Jeff Landry’s request to deploy 1,000 Louisiana National Guard troops in the state’s cities drew mixed reactions across the state as local leaders waited to learn more details. Landry announced on Fox News host Sean Hannity’s show Monday night he was sending Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth a letter asking the federal government to pay for the deployment. Under his administration, Landry told Hannity, “We started to see violence start to trickle down, and lately we’ve seen an uptick, so I’m calling the president today.” In his letter to Hegseth, Landry cited crime in cities like Baton Rouge, Shreveport and New Orleans as justification for the deployment. A spokesperson for Landry said she could not answer questions about where the troops would go, what they would do, or when they might be deployed, because Trump had not approved a plan yet. A White House spokesperson did not comment, and the Pentagon did not answer questions on whether Landry’s proposal will be approved. In a statement, the Louisiana National Guard said it will “start coordination with

ä See TROOPS, page 8A

Proposal for Mississippi River bridge gets new deadline Project enters environmental review stage

istration’s approval to start that process,” DOTD Secretary Glenn Transportation and Development Ledet said Monday, attending his BY HALEY MILLER one year to complete a crucial first meeting with the bridge disStaff writer step in constructing an additional trict. “That’s exciting. That marks a vital milestone in this project.” The project to build a new Mis- crossing. “With some significant measures Residents in the Baton Rouge sissippi River bridge south of Baton Rouge has entered the en- that we were able to take over the area have long complained about vironmental review phase, giv- last several weeks, we were able to the heavy traffic east to west on Ining the Louisiana Department of get the Federal Highway Admin- terstate 10, which can back up for

WEATHER HIGH 92 LOW 69 PAGE 8B

hours in the event of an accident. The environmental assessment must be completed within one year, giving DOTD until mid-September 2026 to present findings of the environmental impacts, as well as mitigation strategies, of three proposed sites for the bridge pathway. All are in Iberville Parish. One site would cross through an

Business ...................10A Commentary ................7B Nation-World................2A Classified .....................8D Deaths .........................3B Opinion ........................6B Comics-Puzzles .....5D-7D Living............................1D Sports ..........................1C

old-growth cypress forest known as Plaquemine Point in St. Gabriel. Landowners and environmental activists have vocally opposed the selection of the Plaquemine Point site, which they say serves as habitat for numerous species, as well as over 200-year-old trees.

ä See BRIDGE, page 9A

101ST yEAR, NO. 93

it’s time!

GET SCREENED. IT MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE.

SCHEDULE YOUR MAMMOGRAM TODAY! BATONROUGECLINIC.COM

225.246.9240


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook