LSU BASEBALL CHAMPS RETURN TO BATON ROUGE 4C
N O L A.C O M
|
T u e s d ay, J u n e 24, 2025
$2.00X
‘TOTAL CEASEFIRE’
TRUMP SAyS DEAL REACHED; IRAN SAyS IRAN LAUNCHES RESPONSE IT’LL STOP STRIKES IF ISRAEL DOES ON U.S. BASE IN QATAR
Henry questions program oversight Lawmaker sees ‘conflict’ in department operating LA GATOR
BY PATRICK WALL Staff writer
PHOTO PROVIDED By IRANIAN ARMy PRESS SERVICE
Iran’s army commander-in-chief Gen. Amir Hatami, center, accompanied by high-ranking army commanders, speaks Monday in a video call with top commanders of the army in Zolfaghar central headquarters, Iran, as portraits of the late revolutionary founder Ayatollah Khomeini, left, and Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei hang on the wall. Iran launched a missile strike Monday against a U.S. base in Qatar in response to the U.S. attack on Iranian nuclear sites. BY DAVID RISING, JON GAMBRELL and MELANIE LIDMAN Associated Press
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — President Donald Trump said that Israel and Iran had agreed to a “complete and total ceasefire” soon after Iran launched a limited missile attack Monday on a U.S. military base in Qatar, retaliating for the American bombing of its nuclear sites. Iran said that as long as Israel stopped its attacks early Tuesday morning, it would halt theirs. Israel did not immediately acknowledge any ceasefire, but there were no reports of Israeli strikes in Iran after 4 a.m. Heavy Israeli strikes continued in Tehran and other cities until shortly before that time. “As of now, there is NO ‘agreement’ on any ceasefire or cessation of military operations,” Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi wrote in a post on X. “However, provided that the Israeli regime stops its illegal aggression against the Iranian people no later than 4 a.m. Tehran time, we have no intention to continue our response afterwards.” His message was posted at 4:16 a.m. Tehran time. Araghchi added: “The final decision on the cessation of our military operations will be made later.”
to the war. The Israeli military declined to comment on Trump’s statement and the office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment. Speaking on Iranian state television, an overnight anchor repeatedly referred to a “Trump-claimed” ceasefire, without saying whether Tehran accepted it. The anchor noted: “Simultaneously with Trump’s claim of a ceasefire, the Zionist enemy targeted several points in the cities of Tehran, Urmia and Rasht, including a residential area in the capital.” Israel’s military put out a warning earlier that District 6 in Tehran could be struck. Early Tuesday, Iran, mirroring the language and maps of the Israeli military, ASSOCIATED PRESS PHOTO By CARLOS BARRIA put out a warning telling people in RaPresident Donald Trump speaks Saturday mat Gan it would target “military infrafrom the East Room of the White House structure” there. Iran’s attack Monday indicated it was in Washington after the U.S. military prepared to step back from escalating struck three Iranian nuclear and military tensions in the volatile region. The U.S. sites. Trump announced Monday that was warned by Iran in advance, and Israel and Iran had agreed to a ceasefire. there were no casualties, said Trump, who dismissed the attack as a “very Trump posted on Truth Social that the weak response.” Qatar condemned the attack on Al 24-hour phased-in ceasefire will begin about midnight Tuesday Eastern time. ä See CEASEFIRE, page 4A He said it would bring an “Official END”
Staff writer
Staff writer
PAGE 6C
La. Senate puts the brakes on several big bills BY MEGHAN FRIEDMANN
BY JAMES FINN
WEATHER HIGH 95 LOW 78
ä See LA GATOR, page 7A
Stalled measures shed light on legislative politics
N.O. voters’ discontent may sway mayor’s race tivism after Hurricane Katrina but has since petered into a series of scandals, legal troubles and frequent trips outside Weary of grindingly slow road repairs, her city. While Cantrell’s political clout has a dysfunctional drainage system, erratic water bills and a city government eroded, the City Council has emerged as viewed as inept at responding to those a newly powerful player, changing laws entrenched problems, New Orleanians to increase its authority and oversight. Yet even as the council assumes a largely blame one person: Mayor LaToya new level of control over the day-to-day Cantrell. New Orleanians’ discontent with functions of local government, residents Cantrell reached a new low this month. don’t seem to blame its members for the A citywide poll found that just 27% of frustrations they harbor towards city residents approve of her performance, services. the lowest mark of Cantrell’s political ä See POLL, page 7A career, which took off on a swell of ac-
After a bruising fight over funding, Louisiana’s new LA GATOR program is set to start giving families tax dollars to pay for private education. But now a new question has come up: Who should run the program? The state Department of Education oversees the program, which in the coming days will give about 6,000 families access to state money they can use to pay for private school tuition or homeschool expenses. On Friday, Henry a legislative budget committee approved the contract for a private company that the Education Department hired to manage the program’s day-today operation. But state Senate President Cameron Henry, R-Metairie, asked during the budget hearing whether there is an “inherent conflict” in putting the Education Department — which is responsible for the state’s public schools — in charge
STAFF FILE PHOTO By HILARy SCHEINUK
New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell mingles before a news conference on May 12 at the State Capitol. A citywide poll found that only 27% of residents approve of Cantrell’s job performance.
Business ......................6A Commentary ................5B Nation-World................2A Classified .....................7D Deaths .........................3B Opinion ........................4B Comics-Puzzles .....3D-6D Living............................1D Sports ..........................1C
With less than two hours to go in the legislative session, all eyes were on the Louisiana Senate. A day earlier, the House had passed on an 88-4 vote a bill to ban companies from owning both pharmacy benefit managers and pharmacies, a prospect that had initiated a flood of lobbying texts from CVS and ignited a fiery debate in the House. Now, it was up to the Senate to decide whether House Bill 358 by state Rep. Dustin Miller, D-Opelousas, would pass. In the end, the Senate didn’t bring it up for a vote. Sen. Kirk Talbot, R-River Ridge, took to the
ä See SENATE, page 4A
12TH yEAR, NO. 316