COLLEGE WORLD SERIES: GAME 1
AANDERSON BLANKS COASTAL, PUTS P LSU ON CUSP OF TITLE 1C GAME 2: LSU VS. COASTAL CAROLINA • 1:30 P.M. • ABC
N O L A.C O M
Jail’s high security unit was shut down A separate disciplinary tier closed years before N.O. jailbreak
BY JOSEPH CRANNEY Staff writer
During his long stay at the Orleans Parish lockup before he escaped last month, detainee Lenton Vanburen had racked up criminal charges in six cases for jail violations in less than two years, prompting authorities to label him an “extreme security risk.” As recently as mid-January, Vanburen was charged with battery against a correctional officer, his third such case since September. In many jails, Vanburen’s record would have qualified him for stricter supervision in a more secure tier, a process known as segregation that’s so common the American Correctional Association issues guidelines for it. But the Orleans Justice Center abandoned the practice years ago, shortly after Sheriff Susan Hutson took office in May Hutson 2022, records and interviews show. Federal monitors flagged that decision shortly afterward and have continued to describe it as a critical misstep, one that spawned a subset of detainees “who repeatedly do not follow the rules of OJC.” Among them: More than half the 10 detainees who brazenly escaped the jail last month, who had recent disciplinary problems or had previously escaped correctional facilities. “It is of concern that the practice of limiting the movement of highsecurity inmates and the practice of placing them in specialty housing was eliminated,” monitors wrote in their most recent report, which came 11 days after the May 16 escape. Hutson’s corrections chief, Jeworski “Jay” Mallett, said the agency is now working to reopen its segregation unit and to add
ä See JAIL, page 6A
|
S u n d ay, J u n e 22, 2025
$2.50X
U.S. STRIKES IRANIAN SITES 3 nuclear facilities hit as U.S. joins Israeli air campaign Make peace or face future attacks, Trump threatens
REUTERS PHOTO By CARLOS BARRIA
President Donald Trump speaks from the East Room of the White House on Saturday in Washington after the U.S. military struck three Iranian nuclear and military sites, joining Israel’s effort to decapitate the country’s nuclear program, as, from left, Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth listen. BY SAM MEDNICK, AAMER MADHANI and DAVID RISING
against the U.S., saying Iran has a choice between “peace or tragedy.” Iran’s nuclear agency confirmed that Associated Press attacks hit its Fordo, Isfahan and Natanz WASHINGTON — The U.S. military struck atomic sites, but insisted that its work will three sites in Iran early Sunday, directly not be stopped. The decision to directly involve the U.S. joining Israel’s war aimed at decapitating the country’s nuclear program in a risky in the war comes after more than a week gambit to weaken a longtime foe amid Teh- of strikes by Israel on Iran that aimed to ran’s threat of reprisals that could spark a systematically eradicate the country’s air defenses and offensive missile capabilities, wider regional conflict. Addressing the nation from the White while damaging its nuclear enrichment faHouse, President Donald Trump said Iran’s cilities. But U.S. and Israeli officials have key nuclear sites were “completely and said that American stealth bombers and fully obliterated.” He also warned Tehran the 30,000-pound bunker-buster bomb they against carrying out retaliatory attacks alone can carry offered the best chance of
ä Republicans in Congress praise Trump after strikes in Iran. PAGE 7A destroying heavily fortified sites connected to the Iranian nuclear program buried deep underground. “We have completed our very successful attack on the three Nuclear sites in Iran, including Fordow, Natanz, and Esfahan,” Trump said in a post on social media. “All planes are now outside of Iran air space. A full payload of BOMBS was dropped on the primary site, Fordow. All planes are safely
‘A tremendous ambition to achieve’
Joseph Canizaro, real estate developer who reshaped New Orleans skyline, dies at 88 BY JOHN POPE | Contributing writer
died Friday night at his Metairie home. He was 88. His death, which followed a series Joseph C. “Joe” Canizaro, a prolific real estate developer who thought of strokes, was confirmed by close and built big, resulting in a series of friend Boysie Bollinger. Canizaro’s time developing propprojects that changed the skyline of downtown New Orleans and a for- erties coincided with a period of tune he dedicated to philanthropy ä See CANIZARO, page 4A and support for Republican politics,
WEATHER HIGH 93 LOW 79 PAGE 8B
Business ......................1E Deaths .........................3B Nation-World................2A Classified ..................... 2F Living............................1D Opinion ........................6B Commentary ................7B Metro ...........................1B Sports ..........................1C
ä See STRIKES, page 7A
“Joe’s impact on downtown reflected his bullish, confident spirit at a time when many old guard business leaders did not understand his vision. History has proved Joe right.” MARC MORIAL, New Orleans mayor from 1994 to 2002
Joseph C. Canizaro, New Orleans real estate developer, philanthropist and major GOP donor, died Friday night at his Metairie home. He was 88. FILE PHOTO
12TH yEAR, NO. 314