Skip to main content

The Times-Picayune 04-30-2025

Page 1

USDA BEEF FLANK OR SKIRT STEAK

$8

99

METAIRIE 504-885-5565 | RIVER RIDGE 504-737-8146 GARDEN DISTRICT 504-262-6017 | CHALMETTE 504-262-0750 BELLE CHASSE 504-393-1012

DAISY SOUR CREAM 14 OZ

2/$1

LB

$239

EA

YELLOW, WHITE OR RED ONIONS

BORDEN SHREDDED OR CHUNK CHEESE

OUTSHINE BARS

69¢

$179

$349

PRICES VALID 4/30/25 - 5/6/25

N O L A.C O M

HASS AVOCADO

|

LB

8 OZ

6 COUNT

EA

W e d n e s d ay, a p r i l 30, 2025

EA

$2.00X

FBI pushes back on reports of Iraq arrest Agency continues to believe Bourbon Street attacker acted alone BY SAM KARLIN and MISSY WILKINSON Staff writers

STAFF PHOTOS By DAVID GRUNFELD

New Orleans Saints and Pelicans owner Gayle Benson stands Tuesday in front of an architectural rendering of the new Gayle and Tom Benson Ochsner Children’s Hospital during a groundbreaking ceremony in Jefferson.

‘A SANCTUARY’ Ochsner breaks ground on new stand-alone children’s hospital, unveils new partnership

Gayle Benson, center, stands with Saints linebacker Demario Davis, from left; Dr. Robert Hart, chief physician executive and president of Ochsner Clinic; Saints coach Kellen Moore and his family; and Ochsner Health CEO Pete November.

BY EMILY WOODRUFF

Staff writer

Across a white-carpeted stage in a pavilionsized tent on Ochsner Health’s Jefferson Highway campus, hospital executives, politicians, business leaders and patients turned the first ceremonial dirt Tuesday on the Gayle and Tom Benson Ochsner Children’s Hospital — a moment Ochsner staff described as a long-planned investment in the future of pediatric health care in Louisiana. “Literally in the space we’re standing today, children’s lives will be saved,” said CEO Pete November, before leading the audience of hundreds in a blessing. “This new home will accept all those in need and will be a sanctuary filled with love, empathy, kindness and respect for all.”

ä See HOSPITAL, page 4A

ger expected to crest at a level that would require water to be diverted into Lake Pontchartrain. New Orleans Corps spokesBY JOSIE ABUGOV Staff writer person Matt Roe said Tuesday that internal estimates of the The U.S. Army Corps of En- river’s flow rate will be slightly gineers does not expect to open below the 1.25 million cubic feet the Bonnet Carre Spillway as per second that typically trigthe Mississippi River is no lon- ger an opening to reduce pres-

WEATHER HIGH 86 LOW 73 PAGE 8B

sure on downriver levees. “Now that we’re close to what we’re expecting, the actual measurements are coming in lower,” Roe said in an interview. His comments came after recent forecasts that rising river levels would trigger an operation of the diversion. Earlier this month, the Corps ran a test operation on the spillway, open-

ä See ATTACKER, page 6A

500-page report at center of Mid-Barataria controversy Former governor denies Landry allegations that document hidden

BY ALEX LUBBEN Staff writer

ing one of its 350 bays. The National Weather Service forecasts as of Tuesday show the river cresting at the Carrollton Gauge in New Orleans at 16.6 feet starting May 2. A reading of 17 feet typically translates to the flow rate that would trigger an opening.

A technical report that models the flow rates of water and sediment from the Mississippi River is now at the center of a new controversy around the massive $3 billion Mid-Barataria Diversion project, until recently the centerpiece of Louisiana’s plan to restore its eroding coastline. The 500-page document, commissioned by the state’s Coastal Restoration and Protection Authority and written by a third-party engineering consultant, was completed in June 2022. It studied specific components of the sediment diversion and said that in coming decades, under certain scenarios, dredging could be needed to keep portions of the diversion operating as designed.

ä See SPILLWAY, page 4A

ä See REPORT, page 6A

Opening of spillway unlikely, Corps says River level forecast no longer a threat

The FBI said Tuesday that it continues to believe that the man who rammed a truck into revelers on Bourbon Street on New Year’s Day acted alone, despite new reports that Iraqi officials arrested an alleged ISIS member overseas for allegedly inciting the attack. “The FBI’s investigation into the New Year’s Day terrorist attack in New Orleans remains active and ongoing,” the agency said in a statement. “While we continue to work with our law enforcement partners, both in the U.S. and inJabbar ternationally, based on the information to date, we continue to believe that Shamsud Din-Jabbar acted alone in carrying out the attack on Bourbon Street.” Al Arabiya News, a Saudi state-owned international Arabic news channel, reported over the weekend that Iraqi authorities arrested a suspect “for inciting the January 2025 truck attack in the United States.”

Business ......................8C Commentary ................7B Nation-World................2A Classified .....................8D Deaths .........................3B Opinion ........................6B Comics-Puzzles .....4D-7D Living............................1D Sports ..........................1C

12TH yEAR, NO. 261


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
The Times-Picayune 04-30-2025 by The Advocate - Issuu