Skip to main content

The 1-9-2026 Edition of The Charlotte Weekly Matthews-Mint Hill

Page 1

20

02 – 202

5

INSIDE ▼ Playhouse to present musical PAGE 2A Friday, January 9, 2026 • Vol. 26 • No. 1

thecharlotteweekly.com/mmhweekly

@mmhweekly

U.S. attorney says Mint Hill resident planned attacks By Morgan Sweeney Contributor

(The Center Square) – The FBI and several police departments foiled a New Year’s Eve terror plot in North Carolina, officials announced Jan. 2. The FBI apprehended 18-year-old Christian Sturdivant on New Year’s Eve, the day for which he had planned his attack, according to Russ Ferguson, U.S. attorney for the Western District of North Carolina. Inspired by ISIS, Sturdivant had planned

attacks on a local grocery store and fast food restaurant in Mint Hill, where he lived, Ferguson said. Law enforcement worked “around the clock” through the holidays to ensure the safety of the public, surveilling Sturdivant and obtaining search and arrest warrants, Ferguson said. Law enforcement officers were able to follow Sturdivant’s interest in ISIS online, through TikTok videos and internet searches, and an inadvertent confession of his plans to an undercover New York police officer he

thought was a member of ISIS, authorities said. “He pledged his allegiance to ISIS … and disclosed his plans to ‘Do jihad soon,’” Ferguson said at a news conference Jan. 2. He then encountered another undercover agent, this time with the FBI, whom he also believed to be a supporter of ISIS, Ferguson said. It was with this agent that he disclosed his specific plans to attack a grocery store and fast food restaurant on New Year’s Eve, he said. Ferguson said that Sturdivant had been

planning attacks for a long time. Sturdivant remains in law enforcement custody and has been charged with attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization. He is the subject of an ongoing investigation. In December, the FBI thwarted a New Year’s Eve bomb plot in Los Angeles by alleged members of the Turtle Island Liberation Front, which Attorney General Pam Bondi described as a "far-left, pro-Palestine, anti-government and anti-capitalist group."

New Year’s Baby arrives fast at Atrium Health hospital

Mint Hill police officers shot on duty MINT HILL – Two officers with the Mint Hill Police Department were struck by gunfire after responding to a call regarding a child custody exchange at 10:47 a.m. Dec. 26 at Edible Arrangements on Matthews-Mint Hill Road.

Hendrixx Alegend Outen gets a nap in after arriving two minutes after midnight on New Year's Day at Atrium Health Pineville.

Photos courtesy of Atrium Health

PINEVILLE – Atrium Health Pineville staff delivered one of the first babies of 2026 in the Charlotte region at 12:02 a.m.

Parents Jataya Stith and Jordyn Outen welcomed baby Hendrixx Alegend Outen into their family. The New Year’s Baby weighed 6 pounds, 9 ounces and measured 19 1/2 inches long. Hendrixx has two older sisters, Honesty and Harmony. The family now has three January birthdays to celebrate: Hendrixx, Dad and Harmony. “We’re deeply honored by the trust families

Zayla Williams was born at 12:11 a.m. Jan. 1 at Atrium Health Carolinas Medical Center. Zayla weighed 7 pounds, 10 ounces.

place in us during life’s most special moments,” said Dr. Katie Borders, senior medical director of Atrium Health Women’s Care, North Carolina and Georgia Division. “We are so proud to continuously provide safe, high-quality care to families throughout our community, and welcoming the first baby of the year is always a fun and special milestone for our team.” Atrium Health Pineville is one of 25 Advocate Health hospitals nationally recognized by U.S. News & World Report in its annual list of “Best Hospitals for Maternity Care.” The list classifies these hospitals as “high performing.” Other hospitals reporting New Year’s babies

include: • Atrium Health Carolinas Medical Center: Zayla Williams was born at 12:11 a.m. weighing 7 pounds, 10 ounces and measuring 20 inches long. • Atrium Health Lake Norman: Eleonor was born at 12:13 a.m. weighing 6 pounds, 10 ounces and measuring 20.08 inches long. • Atrium Health Stanly: Eban was born at 2:38 a.m. weighing 9 pounds, 12 ounces and measuring 21 inches long. • Atrium Health Lincoln: Leia was born at 6:02 a.m. weighing 7 pounds, 8 ounces and measuring 20 inches long.

Mecklenburg commissioners to get at least 2 new members By Justin Vick Contributor

CHARLOTTE – The Mecklenburg County Board of Commissioners will welcome at least two new faces later this year with Elaine Powell and Laura Meier opting not to run for new terms.

Meier represents District 5, which spans several precincts across South Charlotte. District 5 was the last Republican-held seat on the board until Democrat challenger Susan Harden defeated incumbent Matthew Ridenhour in 2018. Meier has held the seat since 2020. Democrat challenger Charles DeLoach finds himself in a unique situation as a first-time candidate running unopposed for Meier’s seat. Usually, it’s a sitting commissioner with the path of least

resistance. Powell’s District 1 seat, on the other hand, will be the most competitive district race with four candidates running for a chance to represent northern Mecklenburg County. District 2 Commissioner Vilma Leake has the toughest road to reelection with an opponent in the Democrat primary election and the general election. District 3 Commissioner George Dunlap will have a primary opponent while Mark Jerrell (District 4) and Susan Rodriguez-McDowell (District 6) are running unopposed. Ten Democrats are running for three at-large seats held by commissioners Leigh Altman, Arthur Griffin Jr. and Yvette Townsend-Ingram. Incumbents for at-large seats usually win big but Townsend-Ingram proved in March 2024 that they can be

defeated as she overcame longtime Commissioner Pat Cotham in the primary. The Mecklenburg County Board of Elections will hold the primary election on March 3 and general election on Nov. 3. Learn more at vote.mecknc.gov. Below is a look at each race. Incumbents are marked with (I). Mecklenburg Commissioner, At-Large • Democrat candidates: Leslie Allen, Leigh Altman (I), Nichel Dunlap, Toni Emehel, Arthur Griffin Jr. (I), Sharif R. Hannan, Heather Morrow, Olivia Scott, Felicia R. Thompkins and Yvette Townsend-Ingram (I). • Republican candidates: n/a • Outlook: Leigh Altman, Arthur Griffin Jr. and Yvette Townsend-Ingram are running for reelection against seven challengers

in the Democrat primary. No Republicans have filed. Altman, who serves as vice chair of the board, has served as a commissioner since 2020. Her background is in law, having served as a staff attorney for a children’s rights agency. Griffin, who has served since 2022, was an executive for an education company, a member of the Army and a member of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education. Townsend-Ingram, who has served on the board since 2024, has been involved with the Democratic Party locally and on the state level in addition to serving on the Mecklenburg County Community Relations Committee. Nichel Dunlap, a community Story continues, see ELECTION MECK page 3A

check us out on - line THE

thecharlotteweekly.com | WEEKLY

During the interaction, a male subject, identified as 36-year-old Tjamel Ali Hamlin II, produced a gun, according to police. An exchange of gunfire followed, resulting in Hamlin getting killed and two officers being struck. The officers were treated and released from local hospitals. “In light of the seriousness of their injuries, including both officers having been struck by gunfire above the neck, the department is extremely grateful for their progress and ability to return home so quickly,” the police department said in a Dec. 27 statement. “The department respectfully requests privacy for the officers and their families during this time.” Police described one of the officers as a lieutenant with 13 years of law enforcement experience. The other had been with the department for six months. The officer-involved shooting has spawned investigations by the police department’s internal affairs division and the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, which are standard protocol. “While we are still waiting for more details to emerge, what is clear is that two Mint Hill Police Department officers were needlessly injured today in the line of duty,” Mayor Dale Dalton wrote on social media on Dec. 26. “I commend them for their bravery and dedication to service, and I want the entire Mint Hill Police Department, as well as the greater Mint Hill community, to know that we stand with our officers. Our thoughts and prayers are with the injured officers and their families, and we are grateful for the courage and professionalism of all who serve to keep our community safe.” The Mint Hill Women’s Club took part in a prayer vigil Dec. 27 at the Christmas tree at Mint Hill Town Hall. Members also distributed blue ribbons in support of policeDec. 31 near the tree. Point Blank Range is holding a charity match and silent auction to support the two injured police officers at 1 p.m. Jan. 31. The range is located at 10726 Monroe Road in Matthews. Email athrasher@pointblankrange.com for details.


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
The 1-9-2026 Edition of The Charlotte Weekly Matthews-Mint Hill by Street Media - Issuu