Skip to main content

The 08-29-2025 Edition of The Charlotte Weekly Matthews-Mint Hill

Page 1

20

02 – 202

5

INSIDE ▼ See Matthews Alive schedule PAGE 2B Friday, August 29, 2025 • Vol. 25 • No. 35

thecharlotteweekly.com/mmhweekly

@mmhweekly

Matthews directs attorney to investigate breach by Justin Vick justin@cmgweekly.com

MATTHEWS – The Matthews Board of Commissioners has directed Town Attorney Daniel Peterson to conduct an internal investigation into breaches in closed session confidentiality.

Board members met in closed

session toward the end of their Aug. 25 meeting with Peterson, Interim Town Manager Curt Walton, Assistant Town Manager Melia James and Town Clerk Lori Canapinno. The board returned to open session about 25 minutes later. Peterson requested the board allow him or a designee to launch the investigation.

“Last Thursday, a former Matthews Police Department officer testified in an administrative hearing that he had had conversations with an individual involved in a closed session of this board about a closed session – about the content of a closed session,” Peterson said. “I take that as my role as town attorney as a very serious allegation – one that I cannot abide as the

attorney for this town. I know that commissioners, as fiduciaries, take that very seriously.” Commissioner Ken McCool made the motion to move forward with the investigation. The motion was seconded by Commissioner John Urban and unanimously approved by the board. “I think this is a very serious matter and I look forward to

having it fully investigated,” Mayor John Higdon said. State law allows government bodies to go into closed session to discuss privileged or confidential issues, such as attorney-client privilege, the location or expansion of industries, property contracts, employment issues and investigations of criminal misconduct.

State officials urge people Matthews accepting not to drink and drive applications for tourism grants

MATTHEWS – The Town of Matthews is accepting applications until Oct. 24 for the Visit Matthews Tourism Grant Program.

Law enforcement officers will step up patrols now through Labor Day weekend. Photos by David Flower/City of Charlotte

by Justin Vick justin@cmgweekly.com

CHARLOTTE – Law enforcement agencies across the state will be increasing patrols and checkpoints from Aug. 25 to Sept. 7 as part of the state’s Booze It & Lose It campaign.

Mark Ezzell, director of the N.C. Governor’s Highway Safety Program, said the Booze It & Lose It campaign is designed to send the message that impaired driving will not be tolerated. “We know that addressing impaired driving isn’t just an enforcement issue but you cannot do it without strong law enforcement involvement,” he said. “These officers play a vital role in maintaining safe environments across North Carolina and preventing future tragedies from happening.” Law enforcement officers will take impaired drivers into Breath Alcohol Testing units known as BATmobiles. “This is essentially a roving magistrate’s office and jail on wheels that allows law enforcement officers to take someone they have stopped and immediately begin the process to have them go through the criminal justice system,” Ezzell said. “We want this campaign to serve as a reminder to all drivers to continue to pay close attention to driving.” The campaign’s goal is to reduce alcohol-related crashes. Ezzell said there were 353 alcohol-related crash fatalities last year in North Carolina. So far this year, there have been 185. Tony Lathrop, chair of the N.C. Board of Transportation, also shared some sobering statewide and local crash data. North Carolina tallied 11,399 alcohol-involved crashes last year, including 944 in Charlotte, according to Lathrop. He added that 38

Mark Ezzell, director of the Governor’s High Safety Program, visited Charlotte on Aug. 20 to explain the Booze It & Lose It campaign. He explained how partnerships are helping reduce traffic injuries and fatilities across the state.

Tony Lathrop, chair of the N.C. Board of Transportation, asked for a commitment from everyone in the public to be safe on the roads. “It can’t be said enough: don’t speed, avoid distractions, wear seat belts, and of course never drink and drive,” he said.

of the 111 traffic deaths in Charlotte last year were alcohol-related. Lathrop said the N.C. Department of Transportation strives to keep motorists safe. “We're building roads now all over the state with new technology, new designs and management tools that have been proven by research to significantly reduce crashes,” he said. “You also need a strong public outreach effort like those that our agency is working on with partners like the City of Charlotte and AAA.” Tiffany Wright, public affairs director for AAA Auto Club Group, said her company is also committed to safety. “Whether you’re stranded with a flat tire or a dead battery alongside the road, AAA is going to be there,” Wright said. “Last year during the

Labor Day holiday alone, we rescued 380,000 motorists nationwide.” Wright also co-chairs the North Carolina Alliance for Safe Transportation. The nonprofit promotes safe driving behaviors across the state. She said the four leading contributors to traffic injuries and fatalities are preventable. Those are impaired driving, distracted driving, speeding and not wearing a seat belt. She said designated drivers, ride shares and AAA can prevent impaired driving. In the Charlotte area, AAA offers a service to pick up drivers if they’ve had too much to drink and tow their vehicle home. “We're your last line of defense because again, there's just no excuse to get behind the wheel impaired,” Wright said.

The program provides financial assistance to organizations that host events or programs designed to promote tourism and attract visitors to Matthews. The grant is funded solely through tourism-related taxes. NC Youth Rugby was among last year’s grant program winners. The organization sought a tourism grant to support its Carolina Ruggerfest 2025. The event brought thousands of people to the Matthews SportsPlex in March. The Matthews Chamber of Commerce secured funding to support four major community events: the Auto Reunion & Motorcycle Show, Fall for Matthews, Matthews Hometown Holiday Stroll and Touch A Truck. Hooks-Orr American Legion Post 235, Matthews Athletic & Recreation Association and Matthews Playhouse of the Performing Arts also won grants last year. Examples of tourism and visitation activities that align with the Visit Matthews grant criteria include hotel stays, dining at local restaurants, retail shopping, car rentals and purchases from local vendors or suppliers. To be eligible, organizations must: • Hold current nonprofit status. • Offer programs with short- or long-term potential to attract visitors to Matthews. • Complete programs between July 1, 2025 and June 15, 2026. • Demonstrate that promoting tourism and visitation to Matthews is a goal of the proposed program. “The Visit Matthews Tourism Grant Program showcases all that Matthews has to offer while supporting organizations that bring vibrancy and economic activity to our community,” said Corey King, parks and recreation director. “We’re proud of the impact this program has had over the years and excited to continue it.” Visit matthewsnc.gov/visitmatthews to apply or get more information.

Leader: 27-member authority is ‘bureaucracy running amok’ by Justin Vick justin@cmgweekly.com

MATTHEWS – Members of the Matthews Board of Commissioners begrudgingly approved a memorandum of understanding that could eventually lead to the creation of a Metropolitan Public Transportation Authority for Mecklenburg County.

The 27-member authority will “finance, provide, operate and maintain” a public transportation system for Mecklenburg County, according to the PAVE Act. This all is tied to the proposed 1-cent sales tax for transportation projects that residents will vote on in the November election. “The bill requires, should the referendum pass, that an authority has to be established by Jan. 1, 2026,” Interim Manager Curt Walton told commissioners. “This memorandum takes the first step toward doing that if the

referendum passes.” Walton told commissioners that they could approve or reject the memo but not amend it. “As I said in the last meeting, this greatly dilutes our voting power; however it is required,” Mayor John Higdon said. “We can’t amend it. I don’t see any reason why not to adopt it.” Higdon was alluding to the structure of the authority. The City of Charlotte will have 12 representatives on the 27-member board, followed by six members for Mecklenburg County and one member for each of the six towns. The governor, speaker of the house and senate president each get to appoint a representative to the authority as well. “I was speaking with someone earlier this week about this and I was joking that we have about a millionth of a vote,” Commissioner Ken McCool said. “But I do think the one positive is it gives whoever the board chooses

as that representative a bully pulpit to speak on things.” McCool continued: “I’m not happy with the PAVE Act and the way things have transpired but I think we don’t have much of a choice.” Commissioner John Urban agreed that the town was stuck between a rock and a hard place. “For government to set up a 27-member board, once again, bureaucracy running amok, from that aspect.” Urban said. We can definitely do better than this but I know where we’re headed.” Matthews to post sales tax Q&A

The Town of Matthews will soon post some Frequently Asked Questions about the proposed 1-cent sales tax on its website. Commissioners discussed the FAQ on Aug. 11 but staff held off on posting it until

they could get more information about some points brought up by the board. Interim Manager Curt Walton said the town was under the impression that, if approved, the sales tax would go into effect in July 2026 but it now appears that date is Jan. 1, 2027. Walton also clarified that the revenue from the 1-cent sales tax revenue would not support the Silver Line light rail project to Matthews or Bus Rapid Transit. The town will get improved bus service, microtransit service and some funding for road improvements. The town is also adding a footnote citing that the data came from the City of Charlotte. “We’re going to go ahead and post these informational questions and answers on our website,” Mayor John Higdon said. “I encourage everybody in town to take a look at that when you’re considering the transit referendum.”


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
The 08-29-2025 Edition of The Charlotte Weekly Matthews-Mint Hill by Street Media - Issuu