Skip to main content

San Gabriel Sun_7/21/2025

Page 1

FREE

SCAN THE QR CODE OR VISIT: rc.heysocal.com/readers-choice-2025/

SanGabriel Sun

21 surrogate-born children in protective custody after abuse claims in Arcadia PG 02

Strike in Boston leads to trash collection delay in Rosemead PG 28

A Beacon Media, Inc. Publication

VISIT HEYSOCAL.COM

MONDAY, JULY 21-JULY 27, 2025

NO. 233

VOL. 14,

California seeks release of remaining National Guard troops from Los Angeles deployment By City News Service

M

ayor Karen Bass and Gov. Gavin Newsom applauded a Trump administration decision to cut the number of federalized California National Guard troops deployed to the Los Angeles area by half, a reduction from 4,000 to 2,000. “This happened because the people of Los Angeles stood united and stood strong,” Bass said in a statement. “We organized peaceful protests, we came together at rallies, we took the Trump administration to court -all of this led to [last week’s] retreat. “We will not stop making our voices heard until this ends, not just here in LA, but throughout our country.” Newsom, who had sued to regain control of the guard troops, continued his push for the full deployment to end. “For more than a month, @TheCalGuard has been pulled away from their families, communities and civilian work to serve as political pawns for the President in Los Angeles,” the

| Photo courtesy of Mayor Karen Bass / Facebook

government said in a statement on X. “While nearly 2,000 of them are starting to demobilize, the remaining guardsmembers continue without a mission, without

direction and without any hopes of returning to help their communities. We call on Trump and the Department of Defense to end this theater and send everyone

home now.” On June 7, President Donald Trump ordered that 2,000 California National Guard troops be brought under federal control and

deployed to Los Angeles to protect federal facilities and personnel one day after sometimes destructive protests erupted -- mainly in the downtown area. The

protests came in reaction to widespread immigration raids and other enforcement actions. Another 2,000 troops were later added to that deployment, along with 700 U.S. Marines tasked with guarding federal property. Newsom and state Attorney General Rob Bonta sued the Trump administration challenging the legality of its move federalizing the National Guard -- which is normally under state control -- but a judge ruled in favor of the federal government. On Tuesday, Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell issued a statement saying 2,000 National Guard troops were being released from federal control. “Thanks to our troops who stepped up to answer the call, the lawlessness in Los Angeles is subsiding,” Parnell said. “As such, the Secretary has ordered the release of 2,000 California National Guardsmen from the federal protection See National Guard Page 27

After internal error, LA County looks to preserve criminal justice reform measure By City News Service

T

he Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors directed its staff Tuesday to explore ways of correcting an administrative error that led to the inadvertent repeal of a criminal-justice system overhaul measure approved by voters five years ago. County voters in 2020 approved Measure J, which requires the county to set aside 10% of its locally gener-

ated, unrestricted money and spend it on jail-diversion programs and other social services aimed at preventing people from landing behind bars. The funds were intended to be used on programs such as job training, business development, housing services and youth development. But county officials recently discovered a glaring error -- the measure was never

codified in the county charter. So last year, when county voters approved Measure G, which updated the charter to overhaul county government with changes including an expanded Board of Supervisors and an elected CEO, Measure J was inadvertently repealed. According to the county, without some type of action, Measure J will go away at the

end of 2028. “In 2020 the voters spoke loud and clear: They approved Measure J because they believed we needed to focus on care-first investments in our communities,” Supervisor Janice Hahn said in a statement. “Since then, this board has done exactly that by establishing the CareFirst Community Investment policy. Now as we move to

implement Measure G, it’s critical that we codify Measure J first to safeguard those community investments. One technical error should not invalidate the clear will of the voters.” Hahn and Supervisor Lindsey Horvath introduced a motion that was approved by the board Tuesday in an effort to preserve Measure J. The motion instructs county attor-

neys to report back on potential legal actions to maintain the provisions of Measure J, including possibly going to court to obtain a judge’s ruling verifying the passage of the item and ensuring it remains in place. The motion also calls on county staff to explore See Criminal justice Page 28


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook