Skip to main content

San Bernardino Press_2/12/2026

Page 1

Imperial Irrigation District announces new program

Ex-deputy who stalked former fiancee, harassed volunteer sentenced

Pg 02

Pg 15

VISIT HEYSOCAL.COM

Thursday, February 12-February 18, 2026

Local. Relevant. Trusted.

Riverside County board temporarily backs off revisions to short-term rental law

C

in Thousand Palms and the B Bar H Ranch. Technically, the moratorium will expire on Feb. 28. But the supervisors' consensus pointed to the likelihood of their renewing the moratorium, possibly for another 10 months, when they return for their next regular meeting on March 3. The board implemented a slate of countywide regulations tied to STRs under Ordinance No. 927 in October 2022. The measure has been largely untouched since then, and Tuesday's hearing was sought by TLMA to make a series of "minor" adjustments. Short-term rentals are See Rental law Page 31

Jury awards over $27M to Victorville man shot by deputy

A

County code enforcers published this flyer with guidelines for short-term renters. | Photo courtesy of the Riverside County Transportation and Land Management Agency

ing. I come to work to try to maintain or improve their quality of life." The Transportation and Land Management Agency, along with the Department of Planning and Code Enforcement, had sought modifications to the STR ordinance based on studies and community meetings. But after a 90-minute hearing during which more than a dozen people aired grievances, the board voted unanimously to table action to an unspecified date. However, due to legislative constraints, the board was unable to automatically extend a moratorium on the issuance of STR certificates

NO. 262

By Staff

By Paul Young, City News Service

onstituents' concerns and lingering doubts about proposed changes prompted the Board of Supervisors Tuesday to back away from making amendments to Riverside County's short-term rental ordinance, deferring action to sometime in the future. "How is it that we've gone through all these hearings and meetings, and we've arrived at the same place we were four years ago?" Supervisor Chuck Washington asked at the end of Tuesday's hearing on Ordinance No. 927. "We don't seem to be moving the needle here. I get the same complaints from constituents. It's disappoint-

VOL. VOL. 10, 12,

defined as residential dwellings leased for a maximum of 30 days and a minimum of two days and one night. Prior to the ratification of Ordinance No. 927, the county had a somewhat informal process for permitting shortterm rentals. Officials said there are now roughly 1,100 certificated STR properties in unincorporated communities countywide. Most of the comments heard by the board Tuesday reflected the same issues the panel considered when the ordinance was first implemented — lack of enforcement or consequences for

federal jury Monday awarded $27.3 million to a Victorville man following a nonfatal shooting by a San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputy. This award stands as the largest ever in cases of similar nature from the U.S. District Court in Riverside, as reported by Barber’s legal team. The jury's decision took into account various damages: $7.25 million was designated for past pain and suffering, $18.25 million for anticipated future afflictions, and $1.85 million to cover future economic hardships. Jurors returned a unanimous verdict against Deputy Christopher Alfred for employing excessive and unnecessary force during the altercation with Steffon Barber, 39. Barber's attorney Dale K. Galipo expressed satisfaction with the jury’s decision stating, "I’m very pleased with the jury’s verdict and thankful to the jurors for giving justice and fair compensation for Mr. Barber." The shooting occurred April 27, 2021, around 11 p.m., when Alfred responded to a disturbance report at a residence in the 12000 block

of White Avenue in Adelanto, authorities said. Neighbors indicated that Barber was behaving erratically, hitting cars and demanding rides from locals. Tension escalated when Alfred, seeing Barber reach into his 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer, assumed a weapon was involved due to Barber's provocative reaction and decided to fire, shooting six times — one bullet striking Barber's head leading to severe and permanent brain damage, according to the Riverside County District Attorney's Office. Despite the justification provided by the DA's Office — which viewed Alfred's actions as a legitimate act of self-defense based upon Barber's previous acceleration towards him — the civil jury differed, concluding Alfred acted negligently. Testimonies revealed Barber was exiting the driveway slowly, providing Alfred ample opportunity to avoid the impending danger, thus rendering the shooting unnecessary. While authorities maintained Alfred's defensive stance, Barber was criminally convicted of assault

See Victorville man Page 16


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
San Bernardino Press_2/12/2026 by Beacon Media News - Issuu