6'de 7
t
oe,
trif;, SAVE Vs at
Fly-
Price 6d.
Ansett-A.N.A. Australia's Largest Fleet of
ELRAY ELECTRIC STOVES
WE TRADE IN ANYTHING. BARGAINS: Bronse wire Doors with Iron Grills, only 95/-; 11 designs. Deck Chairs. 35/-; Camp Stretchers. 52/6; bet Palrts, red and aluminium roof paints, only 42/-. Only Hassell's have 3ft. long to 7ft. Stainless Steel Sinks. Cupboards to suit or to order, 150 units on display. Lowest prices to Religious Organisations.
Pressurised
Aircraft
-
Ring, Write or Call 414 MURRAY STREET BA9651. 55 ST. GEORGE'S TCE. BF3982. Or any Authorised Agent.
HASSELLS For all Metters' Stoves, Baths, etc. City Depot for
No. 2,831
(Registered at the G.P.0 Perth, for transmission by post as a Newspaper) .
Sacred Heart Nuns To Celebrate Foundation
Perth, Thursday, Nov. 7, 1957.
553-561
HASSELLS
WELLINGTON STREET. B11,2477.
Unique Chance To See What Is Done For Half -Caste Kiddies
Short Story
Competition Results Listed
The judging of the short When in 1896 the Superioress-General of the Congregation of story competition conductunder the auspices of the Our Lady of the Mission was on her way to New Zealand, she met ed Apostleship of Prayer, has His Lordship, Bishop Gibney, who proposed a foundation of the been concluded and the award given in favour of Congregation for Perth. an "Annals" contribution, This offer was accepted "The Great Chance," by M. and five Sisters were chosen P. Rynne. from the Christchurch comThe judges were Mr. Alf munity in New Zealand. On Phillips, magazine editor of October 9, 1897, these pio"The Herald" (Melbourne) neers arrived in Albany and and a leading journalist, Mr. then journeyed to Perth Frank Phillips, assistant where they stayed with the editor of the Melbourne Sisters of St. John of God "Advocate," and a notable until the 16th when they literary and theatrical took up their abode in a 5 critic; and Mrs. Lesley Dare roomed cottage in Vincent (Catherine Kaye), a wellstreet, belonging to His known radio and TV script Lordship Bishop Gibney. writer. On the next day, Sunday, Mr. Murphy reported unin the Sacred Heart Church, favourably on the general Rev. Father Duff officially standard of the stories subwelcomed the Sisters to the mitted, but the other two parish of Highgate. judges said they were pleaA week later they opened santly surprised with the school with an attendance general standard. of 38 pupils. However, by the end of the year, the Not only in the metro- trict and of North Balwyn. number had increased to politan area were foundaThe western section of Is 140. On September 18, 1898 lions made but also further the Australian Province the foundation stone of the afield. Three houses, cater- numbers eight convents, present convent and school ing for day pupils and five in the Archdiocese of was laid, and on January boarders, were opened in the Perth and three in the dioLourdes, Oct. 21: His 22, 1899, the building was wheat belt-Wagin in 1914, cese of Bunbury. During the, Eminence Angelo Cardiblessed and opened by Mgr. Narrogin in 1918 and past 60 years, 14,500 pupils nal Rocalli, Patriarch of Bourke. Katanning in 1926. have passed through the On the following Monday, In the August vacation Sesters' schools at Highgate. Venice, will represent His the children of the primary each year, Bushies' holiday Holiness Pope Pius XII at school, to the number of schools are conducted by Convents In East the consecration of the 120, were removed to their the Sisters in these centres. In the East, there are two His Grace the Archbishop will officially new schoolroom within the The last foundation made convents in the Archdiocese underground Basilica of convent building. in Western Australia was in of Melbourne and the same St. Pius X here next bless and open the extensions at Wandering In the two years follow- 1948 at Rockingham. The number in the diocese of March 25, it has been anNative Mission at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 10. ing, more Sisters arrived object of this foundation Ballarat. In the twelve nounced. Seats are still available dering at 5 p.m. arriving in from New Zealand to was primarily to provide a Houses comprising the ProThe Cardinal will on the bus leaving Perth at Perth at approximately 7 be the teaching rest-house during the long vince, there are 134 Sisters, strengthen Papal Legate when the 10.30 a.m. Ring BA 3338 p.m. Return fare, £.1 for staff, and the pupils who vacation for the Sisters from staffing 16 schools. basilica, which will be large or BF 1889 to make a reser- adults and 5/- for children. were to form the nucleus of the metropolitan and counIn the early stages of de- enough to accommodate vation or pick up your Visitors travelling by car the present High School try convents. velopment of the Congre- 20,000 people, is opened ticket from the Catholic should proceed along main were assembled. gation, the personnel was after the work on it has Centre. After hours or on Albany-highway, via ArmaVictorian Houses With the arrival of for the most part supplied been completed. Saturday phone W 3511 to dale, to Halfway House at boarders, the accommoda- In 1922 development ex- by the Province of The church will be about make sure there are still 58} miles from Perth. Turn tion soon became taxed to tended eastwards when, at Zealand but in 1903Newa 240 feet the wide, invitation of Lordand is His left and follow road for a built vacancies. its utmost capacity, so Rev. was canonically underground to avoid inBring your own lunch and further 12 miles and watch Father Crowley decided to ship Bishop Foley, a foun- novitiate established at Highgate, build a parochial school. dation was made at Donald and since then a steady terference with the archi- a cup of tea will be avail- for fingerpost on left. The Pallotine Fathers, This was blessed and open- in the diocese of Ballarat, stream of vocations has tectural harmony of exist- able at the Mission. Aftering structures near the neon tea will also be pro- the Sisters of Mary and 75 followed two years later by ed in 1914. followed, the Sisters regrotto where Our Lady ap- vided for all visitors. a further establishment at little native children will be their Other Centres numbers peared in 1858. Charlton in the same dio- cruiting The bus will leave Wan- ready to welcome you. mostly from their past In the course of the 60 cese. years since the establishIn 1934, a foundation was pupils. ment of the Congregation made in the Archdiocese of The latest venture of the at Highgate, convents have Melbourne, at Oakleigh. Congregation was establishbeen opened in other Seven years later, the Sis- ed in 1953 at Fremantle, a centres. The year 1902 saw ters took up residence at Juniorate under the patronthe first branch house in East Kew, where they cater age of "Virgo Potens," Our Australia established when for the children of this dis- Lady of the Globe. a community took up residence in Fremantle and conducted a high school for Brother Frank Hanke, Pollottine Missionday pupils and boarders. ary Brother of the Kimberley Vicariate, died Later the East Fremantle at St. John of God Hospital last Wednesday. parochial school of Mary Immaculate was also added The Most Rev. Dr. Riable, Even here, he could not to their charge and is serS.C.A. together with his remain idle: he built a viced from the Fremantle priests and Brothers in the beautiful church where the community, as is also the Nor'West will sorely miss Catholic lepers assist at school of St. Benedict at this exemplary Brother, Mass and pay visits. Bro. A conference of children leaving Applecross. whose 30 years of unremit- Frank's treatment got rid In 1925, the Fremantle ting toil in the missions has of the leprosy and he was school at the end of 1957 has been arcommunity also took over now come to a close. discharged. But he was a ranged for Sunday, Nov. 17. It will the parochial school in the Brother Frank, of Saxony, very sick man, and his newly established parish of begin with a special Mass at St. Mary's Germany, came to Australia health declined. Palmyra until a convent was So work in the Kimberleys. Again the Sisters of St. Cathedral at 12 noon. opened there in 1952, dediThe difficulties of this mis- John of God looked after cated to Our Lady of There will be lunch, with tea and cool drinks sion constitute a real sacri- him, this time in Subiaco. Fatima. available at Victoria -square convelit, followed by fice, but the fervent young Under their care he rallied In 1908 the Sisters were Brother never shirked or for a while. a brief general meeting. Late Br. Hanke, S.C.A. asked to staff the parochial complained. But it was obvious to his Children will then be split into four groups: school at Maylands. The that confreres He worked daily for the Pallottine S.C.A., rector of Tardun Sisters for this new mission University students, Education Department aborigines, with both his their Heavenly Patroness, Mission. The funeral prayers were supplied from Hightrainees, boys other than these, girls other than hands and knees; he prayed Queen of the Apostles was' were said by the Rev. J. gate until 1926 when a comthese. for the souls of these neg- calling her devoted son Luernmen, S.C.A., rector of munity was permanently h6me. The call came last the Riverton Mission Centre. lected people. settled in Maylands. The aim of the conference is to put before the The Pallottine Fathers and In 1950, Brother Frank Wednesday, mercifully endTo meet the ever-growchildren the apostolic opportunities open to them contracted leprosy. He went ing his painful illness at the Brothers thank the Sisters of ing enrolment, a Junior 53 years. of age in the important years immediately after school. St. John of God of the Lepto the Derby Leprosar,irn, High School was establishwhere he remained six His Grace, the Archbishop rosarium and the Sisters of ed in 1929 at Learoyd-street, More than 400 boys and girls have signified Mt. Lawlev, to cater for the years, under the devoted was present at the Funeral Subiaco for their kind attheir intention of attending. care of the Sisters of St. Mass, which was celebrated tention to their departed young children of that district. John of God. by the Rev. J. Hennessy, brother. R.I.P. .
Cardinal
Named Legate
ti
a
*
Br. Frank Dies After 30 Years Among Aborigines
4
Apostolic Meeting For Children, Soon