Skip to main content

The Record Newspaper 18 September 1952

Page 1

Vt. 4

o'.41.

1

i'

"(Al

4ccr weer

No 2,567

'4"e'

Is Bell Oldest In Australia Now?

Price: 6d. it

41114f,

4

;1=0.'4' tylleeetGaPaNPerth'pefjr Perth, Thursday, Sept. 18, 1952,

Parish Has Given Two Bishops to Perth

York To Commemorate Centenary of First Mass

prior to its canonical days were Archbishop PoldFirst among the parishes of the Arch- parish, erection were Rev. Martin ing, O.S.B. of Sydney in its of first Griver, O.S.B., Rev. Raphael 1852, who performed the diocese to celebrate the centenary Martelli and Rev. Timothy first baptism; and Cardinal Mass will be St. Patrick's, York, which marks Donovan. Moran who visited the 28. on Sept. the 100th. year of foundation It is notable that two parish in 1887.

Assistant priests at York His Grace the Archbishop It has been served by 13 priests who ministered there will honour the occasion by parish priests in the course were subsequently made over the period were the late P. Rev. Bishops of Perth-Martin Monsignor B. Fagan, the presiding at evening devot- of 100 years:- the ions and giving Pontifical Aragon, O.S.B.; V. Rev. Griver and Matthew Gib- late Rev. Patrick Lynch, Benediction of the Blessed Canon R. Martelli; Rev. F. ney. The latter was provi- the late Rev. E. O'Reilly, Salvado, O.S.B.; Rev. An- dentially spared from an the V. Rev. John Fahey Sacrament, O.S.B .; Rev. attack on his life to assume (Cottesloe) and the Rt. Rev. In preparation for the ce- selm Bourke,Rev. P. Sheri- his Episcopal office. Distin- Mgr. J. Moloney (LeederGibney; lebration a week's Mission, M. Walsh; Rev. T guished visitors of the early ville) A. Rev. conducted by a Redempto- dan; Rev. F. Byrne; Rev. Kenny, rist Father, will commence J. Cullen; Rev. F. Regan; on Sept. 21. and O'Mahony J. Rev. The long and interesting Rev. C. Casey. history of St. Patrick's par- Other priests who served ish will be given next week. the spiritual needs of the

Suspended in a miniature belfry in polished jarrah in the porch of St. Mary's Cathedral, is what is believed to be the oldest bell in Australia.

Congregationalists Hear of Catholicism An unusual experience befell the Rev. J. Depiazzi when he was invited to address a Congregational Youth organisation on the claims of the Catholic Church on Sept. 14. The invitation was originally issued to the Rev. R. Healy, assistant priest at Claremont, by the Rev.

St. Patrick's Church, York

First Superior of Young Congregation Dies at 40

Around the top of the brought the bell to Austrabell is inscribed in Latin: lia in 1853 and had it erec"Pray for us, Jesus, Mary, ted at the Benedictine House Saint Agatha". Around the at Subiaco, now St. Joseph's body of the bell is a large orphanage. Here it remained until cross formed of stars, a basrelief (probably of King 1867 when it was transferred to the belfry of the Charles II of Spain and another which may be the Cathedral (completed in heraldic arms of the donor. that year. The Cathedral About the lip of the bell had been opened on Sunthe Latin legend runs: "Pre- day, Jan. 29, 1865). The cesented by Master Bus- remony was performed by tamante in the year 1676". Bishop Martin Griver, A parchment, giving the O.S.B. After 84 years it w a s story of the Sell will be secured beneath it, and the removed to make way, in interesting historical relic 1951, for the carillon of 11 of early Catholic days in bells in the renovated camthis State will be preserved. panile. The bell, which had proThe bell was presented to the Benedictine abbey of St. bably been named in honour Martin at compostella, of St. Agatha, had not been Spain, in the year 1676 by used for many years on acone, Maestro Bustamante. count of having cracked. It Bishop Salvado, who made was sand -blasted before his profession as a Benedic- Leing installed in the Cathtine monk at this abbey, edral porch.

CongregaEdwin White, tional minister in that area. Father Depiazzi accepted at Father the invitation Healy's request, and spoke for 30 minutes in a series entitled "Your Faith and Mine." The Sisters of Mary of the Catholic After an attentive hearing, the young people pre- Apostolate, after only 15 months in Austrasent asked numerous questions concerning the Bible, lia, sustained their first great loss on August convents, Confession, the 31, when their young Sister Superior, Sister use of sacred images, Purgatory, and the Pope. Mary Bonitos, was called to God at St. Father Depiazzi expressed admiration for the cour- John's hospital, Subiaco. teous, candid and attentive Sister was born at of Mary of the Catholic interest of the young Con- Puetschbach in the Wester- Apostolate, a new Society Osborne Park to Open New School also wald, Germany, on No- which had been founded gregationalists, and thanks to the Rev. E. White vember 2, 1912. In January, only ten years previously by 1937, she entered the Sisters the Pallottine, Rev. Joseph for the invitation. To Relieve Overcrowded Classrooms Kentenich, S.A.C. In July, after her postuThe new St. Kieran's Girls' school, which lancy she received the blue will be blessed and opened by the Archbisserge habit from the hands of the Founder. Six months hop on Sunday, is the first part of a long later she consecrated herself range plan to provide a modern parish plant to the Mater ter Admirabilis of Schoenstatt, a special in the growing district of Osborne Pork. Consecration which preceeds The new school together most modern cloak room Profession. Profesfirst Her with the existing school will and sanitary block with proSISTER M. BONITAS LATE On Sept. 28, Northam will celebrate the sion came on the May 31, provide accomodation for visions to be made for 1939 final Profesand her were formed, became she of St. Joseph's the opening of children. The contract showers for the children. 375 golden jubilee sion on July 2, 1946. Superioress of the Provin- price of the building is School sporting equipment church. His Grace the Archbishop will pre- During h e r novitiate, cial House of the Sisters at £10,865; Harnett and will be cared for in a special Homer are the contractors room which will also be Mary Bonitas began Salzig on the Rhine. side at Solemn High Mass there at 10 a.m. Sister her training as a nurse, and In 1949 she was placed and William Bennett and used for parish St. Vincent The jubilee festivities will consecrated first Bishop of later successfully obtained in charge of an orphanage, Associates the architects. de Paul society activities. be preceded by a fortnight's Gealdton two years later. her diploma. During the War and from there came to the There are n o w* 290 Work will commence immeMission, preached by two The Rev. W. B. Kelly was she nursed ill various mili- Pallottine Mission school, children in the old school diately on a tennis and bas Redemptorist Fathers, which also the first West Austra- tary hospitals, and after- Tardun, for coloured child- which is "dreadfully over- ketball court. lian to enter the Episcopate. wards was made Superior- ren. She arrived in April crowded," according to the commenced on Sept. 14. The Sisters of Mercy of The story of those 50 ess at the Pallottine Mission last year with three other Rev. A. Langmead, parish the West Perth foundation Down to the coming of Father Treacy as first resi- years is given in some de- House, Limburg. During Sisters, and endeared her- priest. staff the school. The funcdent priest, Northam's par- tail on page 10. Following these few years Sister wit- self to all by her untiring, The new school comprises tion will commence at 3.30 ochial -history coincided Father Reidy, the Rev. John nessed the selfless work. In May of this two large rooms, one, 28 feet p.m. and afternoon tea will largely with York's, of Lynch was parish priest growth of the Society of year she became seriously by 24 feet, and the other, 57 be served in the old school. which parish it was part. Then Mary; in 1946 the numbers ill, and after three months feet by 24 feet. The latter from 1941 to 1944. Father Langmead has is The highlight of Catholic the V. Rev. Dean T. Lenihan were around 1,500 Sisters. of intense pain, passed to room will also be used for sued an invitation to parish Northam's history is that the was appointed pastor and today they number some her reward on August 31, parish activities. In addition ioners and friends from priest in charge in 1887 was Dean of the Avon districts. 2,000 Sisters. As Provinces R.I.P. to these rooms there is a outside the parish to attend.

Northam Will Mark Church's 50th Year

miraculous

A.c

(025110

WITH

60 ARM

DADDY'S

CALL 'PHONE or WRITZ

WRY

Australasian Catholic Assurance Co. Ltd., (Incorporated In

New South Wales)

Warwick House, Rt, Georgo's Terrace. Perth. - 'Phone HRRi


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook