Skip to main content

The Record Newspaper 04 March 2009

Page 1

Think you have problems? Help those in real need and while doing it, enter the spirit of... Maddington initiative - Page 7

Lent

Project Compassion - Vista-4 Lenten poster - Vista 2-3

Garden weddings - can I attend? Fr Flader replies - Page 12

THE RECORD

“Be indefatigable in your purpose and with undaunted spirit resist iniquity and try to conquer evil with good, having before your eyes the reward of those who combat for Christ.” -Bishop Matthew Gibney 1874

the Parish. the Nation. the World.

www.therecord.com.au

Western Australia’s award-winning Catholic newspaper since 1874 - Wednesday March 4 2009

Perth, Western Australia $2

Cathedral work enters home stretch, but extra $7.5 million needed

Appeal raised

St Mary’s Cathedral is progressing well towards completion, fundraising organisers say, but mining boom cost increases mean a final appeal is necessary.

Expected completion: late 2009. The new cathedral will add to the character of Perth ARCHBISHOP Barry Hickey has announced with gratitude that the initial target of $25 million for the St Mary’s Cathedral appeal has been exceeded due to the generosity of thousands of Western Australians. However, the effects of the recent WA boom on building costs has forced the Archdiocese to lift its appeal target by $7.5 million to meet the final costs of the conser-

vation and completion of St Mary’s Cathedral. Announcing the increased target of $32.9 million, Archbishop Hickey and appeal chairman Monsignor Michael Keating said that the new appeal would be conducted across the community. It would not affect the commitment of the schools, which were currently in the third and final year of their commitment to raise

the equivalent of $20 a year for each family, or the parishes, which would launch the third year of their fundraising commitment on the weekend of May 23-24. They added that despite some confusion generated by general media reporting, appeal funds would not be used on the renovation of the Cathedral presbytery. The two projects were now in progress simultaneously, but the Cathedral appeal funds would be used exclusively for the Cathedral. “The response to the initial appeal for the Cathedral has been

wonderfully generous and we have already reached $25.4 million in gifts and pledges, with $21.3 million of that in hand,” Archbishop Hickey said. “I am full of gratitude for this generosity and am reluctant to ask for additional funds, but I am sure people will understand both the need and the reasons for it,” he said. “The fund-raising so far includes $2.4 million from the Alice and Jim Hassell bequest, $5 million from the Archdiocese, and $4 million and $3 million from

PHOTO: MENCORP/RON TAN PHOTOGRAPHY

the Commonwealth and State Governments respectively. “The clergy pledged $150,000 to fund the high altar and ambo and added another $350,000 in their own donations. “The parishes’ target of $2.4 million is within reach, and the religious orders and multicultural associations have been very generous. “The leadership donors contributed $4.5 million in gifts ranging

HITTING THE RIGHT NOTE

THE ITALIAN WAY

MICHAEL PETERS tells DEBBIE WARRIER about the joys of faith, good liturgy and music. Vista 4

Fr ANTHONY PAGANONI continues his series on a fascinating success in youth ministry in Italy. Vista 4

Continued - Page 7 Another St Mary’s - in Leederville launches its own appeal - Page 3


Turn static files into dynamic content formats.

Create a flipbook
The Record Newspaper 04 March 2009 by The Record - Issuu